Wednesday, December 28, 2011

How To Rebel

          Everyone knows that teenagers are all about rebellion. We’re going through a transition period between childhood and adulthood, and it’s a hard time to get through. We’re told that we need to figure out our lives, but we have no idea what we want to do with them.We have raging hormones. We have mood swings. Yes, even the boys. We have temper tantrums. It’s like toddlerhood all over again. Or at least that’s how rumour has it.
          Growing up, I was a good kid. In fact, it was pretty difficult to find a better behaved child. I made my bed. I put on extra layers. I ate my fruits and veggies, andI wore the clothes my mother picked out for me. You couldn’t ask for a more obedient daughter, but I was no angel. I was a scheming child. Oh, yes. Ever since I was a young girl, I had been planning to rebel as soon as I had reached the age of thirteen. “Teenager-hood” was the perfect reason.
          I had it all planned out. I would blast my music. I would wear dark make-up. I would dye my hair into insane colours. I would get multiple piercings. I would get a boyfriend with even more piercings. I would come home at 3AM in the morning. I would run away from home.  I would do the opposite of everything I knew my parents wanted me to do.
          However, the truth is that old habits die hard. When I “ran away from home,” I called to get permission first. When I “dyed my hair,” I picked a colour that would be basically impossible to notice. I only play my music a little too loudly. I only wear make-up that’s a little too dark. I don’t come home later than midnight. I never got any absurd piercings, and you can forget about the boyfriend.
          So, yes, it’s partly true. We all have this nagging itch to rebel a little, or a lot. Some people go all out, but others, like me, just do it enough to make a point. Teenagers are human too. It isn’t our goal in life to completely ruin our parents’ lives, and though it pains me to admit it, sometimes (and only sometimes) parents are willing to compromise if we are too. It is possible for teenagers to be civil, but it is not probable that we will behave like perfect angels. If you’re feeling like you rebel too much, remind yourself that it wouldn’t kill you to listen to your folks once in a while. And if you’re feeling like you don’t rebel enough, just know that sometimes it’s alright to want to turn your dear parents’ lives into living hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment